Friday, November 7, 2008

Tweek City

I watched this very independent movie today called Tweek City. I must be the only person on the planet who liked this film. If you asked me what the point of it was, I couldn't tell you. I liked the mood of it, and I felt that the lead actor, Giuseppe Andrews, played it very well.

It's about a guy who's trying to get his life back together while undergoing withdrawals from speed. He has trouble doing so and falls back in with some friends who only lead him back to the drugs and the wild nightlife. He faces constant rejection and death everywhere he goes, and as he tries to seek out the meaning in his life, as he searches for his place in the crazy underworld he inhabits, the solutions he finds for himself are constantly shot down by everyone else. He descends into paranoia and fear and ultimately strips himself of everything he thought he might have been, both internally and externally, and is forced to face the things which he faults himself for.

It's a very intriguing character study without a whole lot of plot, but I feel it rises above its budgetary limitations quite well. It's a shame that more people don't like it. The general low scores tell me I probably shouldn't recommend it to anybody for fear that my credibility as a film recommender might come into question. The IMDb score for the movie at the time of this writing is 3.9 (real bad) after 106 votes. I should be #107 with my score being a 7. Nobody at Rotten Tomatoes has bothered to review it. It's a shame.

No comments: