Monday, November 10, 2008

90's One-Hit Wonders

You may remember I posted this about six days ago, explaining my plan for using 90's one-hit wonders for a CD. I've decided on a handful of songs, and even though I haven't ordered them, I'm going to put them here.

  • In the Meanwhile by Spacehog - This is such an awesome song, and you only hear it on the radio about once every three years. But it will never leave your head.

  • Got You (Where I Want You) by The Flys - Simple, but quite powerful.

  • What I Got by Sublime - Okay, so this technically is not a one-hit wonder. But it's one of the very few songs by Sublime that I like, and I've always gotten a very care-free vibe from it. Also, you don't hear it very often on the radio, and it fits with the theme of the CD.

  • No Rain by Blind Melon - A pleasant if ironic little song about being happy sung by a guy who killed himself shortly after making the music.

  • Mother Mother by Tracy BonhamShe was angry, so she wrote a cool little rock anthem.

  • Possum Kingdom by The ToadiesI think that possibly only two other songs got as much radio play as this one in the 90's, and those were Black Hole Sun by Soundgarden and Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana. Definitely a one-hit wonder, though, and so much fun to play on guitar.

  • Closing Time by SemisonicVenturing into the pop world brings us hits like this which are simple, but amazingly easy to listen to.

  • Sex and Candy by Marcy PlaygroundI think the common element here is simplicity. Also weird music videos.

  • Seether and Volcano Girls by Seether - A two-hit wonder, for sure, and not the first of this list.

  • Miserable and My Own Worst Enemy by Lit - This rock trio (I think) made these two songs immensely popular and then promptly disappeared. Another two-hit wonder.

  • Touch, Peel, and Stand and Shelf in the Room by Days of the New - On the subject of two-hit wonders... The lead singer's voice is certainly unique. I'd recognize their brand of acoustic rock anywhere.

  • Down by 311 - I can never figure out what to think of these guys. Still, there's no denying the awesomeness of this 90's rock/hip-hop infusion.

  • Pepper by Butthole Surfers - For no good reason that I can conceive of, these guys had to change the original art for this album, Electriclarryland, in the name of censorship. The cartoon drawing of a person's head with a pencil stabbed through his ear was replaced with what would appear to be a gerbil or prarie dog. Dramatic B***H*** Surfers... Are dramatic!

  • Bound for the Floor by Local H - Most times, if you ask someone the name of this song, they'll tell you it's "Born to Be Down," which it most certainly is not. Furthermore, ask them who sang it, and they'll stare at you blank-faced. The lead singer looks eerily like Patrick Fugit.

  • Christian Woman by Type O-Negative - We always used to refer to the singer of Type O-Negative as Crackhead Steve. His voice is unnatural. This video is creepy and the lyrics are way more vulgar than the song's tone might let on.

  • Cumbersome and Water's Edge by Seven Mary Three -
    Both are powerful songs. The video for Water's Edge is exactly how I always imagined it would be, though I've never seen it until today.

  • Jenny Says by Cowboy Mouth - Is it possible to not like this song? Even after you've heard it dozens of times?

  • Superman's Dead by Our Lady Peace - A band that's really quite good by all accounts really pinnacled with this song. Sure, most of it's unintelligible oooohs and aaaahs, but it's quite catchy. Life's a subway, by the way.

  • Low by Cracker - I can only imagine this song is about drugs. But then, weren't most songs from the 90's?



I hope you enjoy this music as much as I am now and hope to in a couple years.

PS - I'm adding a song to this list: Plowed by Sponge. I just couldn't live without hearing this song once every couple years. I'm surprised I even forgot this in the first place.

No comments: